Boost Your Health With Coconut Oil!
By John Chetcuti
Coconut oil has hundreds of uses and its health benefits have been well documented. Research suggests that it has anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-microbial properties (1, 2); some studies have shown that inflammation and oxidative stress decreased more in people who consumed coconut oil, compared to people who consumed other oils (2, 3).
In tropical climates such as Polynesia, Sri Lanka and the Yucatan where they have a diet high in coconut oil, the people are healthier, have less heart disease, cancer and colon problems than unsaturated fat eaters. It is now accepted that there is good cholesterol and there are good saturated fats. (5).
Health Benefits of Virgin Coconut Oil (Cold Pressed):
1. Thyroid-stimulating. Research shows that coconut oil contains medium-chain fatty acids which stimulate the metabolism, giving you more energy. (3, 4).
2. Keeps candida in check. Coconut oil contains caprylic acid which is known to kill off excess candida by targeting harmful bacteria. (2, 4, 5).
3. Lowers cholesterol. It protects your heart by reducing total cholesterol and increasing good cholesterol. (2, 5).
4. Helps with weight loss. Even though it is a fat, it actually helps with weight loss. (6). The healthy medium-chain fatty acids do not circulate in the bloodstream like other fats; they are sent directly to the liver and are converted into energy. Thus, the body does not store coconut oil as fat. It uses it to produce energy instead. (3, 4, 6).
5. Helps keep diabetes in check. Coconut oil does not produce an insulin spike in your bloodstream. Instead, it helps in controlling blood sugar by improving the secretion of insulin. (2).
6. Reduces heart disease. Studies on people in the Pacific Islands found that they had nearly non-existent rates of cardiovascular disease if their total caloric intake of fully saturated coconut oil was 30% to 60%. (7).
7. Supports the immune system. It is rich in lauric acid, a nutrient that helps the body fight illness. (2, 8).
8. Nourishing for the brain. Studies show that it improves cognitive function, and stalls or even reverses neurodegenerative diseases in their early stages. It has also been shown to help with Alzheimer’s Disease. (9).
You can read about the numerous research studies done on coconut oil at www.coconutresearchcenter.org/medical-research-2/coconut-research/. And if you’re looking for a high-quality coconut oil supplement, I highly recommend DEVA Virgin Coconut Oil capsules. They’re organic, cold-pressed, unrefined, and the capsules are made from plant cellulose, instead of the commonly used gelatin. All DEVA Products are 100% vegan and are registered by the Vegan Society, the non-profit organization that actually invented the word “vegan”.