With cold and flu season upon us, many of us are turning to vitamin C and other immune boosting supplements to help ward off the seasonal scourge. Another great way to protect ourselves is to take Camu Camu, a berry from the Amazonian rain forests. Camu Camu is packed with more natural vitamin C than any other food on the planet, and provides approximately 50 times more vitamin C than an orange. Since it’s a food-based supplement, and a not a synthetic vitamin, it has a full profile of naturally occurring minerals and amino acids which aid the body in absorbing and utilizing vitamin C.
Benefits of Camu Camu
1. Inflammation – Inflammation is a major basepoint for many chronic and serious diseases, such as Alzheimers and arthritis. Powerful antioxidants (like vitamin C) have been shown to help with inflammation, particularly in the elderly or those approaching old age. The presence of inflammation can contribute to an accelerated aging process, including increased oxidative stress within the body and an increased prevalence of chronic pain.
2. Immune System – Camu Camu helps the body to properly detoxify and heal, blocking free radicals and other pathogens from entering the body.
3. Anti-Viral – Health care practitioners have reported that all forms of the Herpes virus, including shingles, have been relieved by Camu Camu. Users report that cold sores resolve in one day, genital herpes will often resolve in 48 hours, and the Epstein-Barr type of chronic fatigue will show some improvement in one or two weeks.
4. Emotional Health – Some health care practitioners have reported that Camu Camu has same-day mood balancing effects, and it can be used safely in combination with pharmaceutical antidepressants. Camu Camu’s high levels of vitamin C help your brain to produce more serotonin, a natural mood enhancer.
5. Liver Health – The powerful cocktail of antioxidants and phytochemicals in Camu Camu can help fight against diseases and malfunctions of the liver.
6. Gum and Heart Health – Camu Camu’s powerful antioxidant and antiviral properties can help fight against gum diseases like gingivitis. Having healthy gums is also important since gum health has been directly linked to heart health.
My personal choice for cold and flu season is DEVATM Vegan Vitamin C. It is made from Camu Camu, Acerola Cherry and Rosehips, and each tablet provides 250 mg of vitamin C made from food sources. It is also buffered with calcium so acidity is reduced in the stomach.
DEVATM products have been registered as 100% vegan by the non-profit Vegan Society. This non-profit organization, which first coined the phrase “vegan,” has a strict and detailed registration process for vegan products.
Information and statements regarding dietary supplements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and DEVATM products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.