The word independence conjures up images of my son riding his bike without me holding on to the back of the seat, or when he was a little one learning to walk on his own. Independence brings up feelings of pride and accomplishment. It often comes with a goal successfully met.
So, why do some people think independence is about doing it ALONE? One can be independently working in a room filled with folks. That person is working on their own but is not alone. Doing something independently is not an act of separation. Being separate can bring feelings of loneliness, isolation, and maybe even sadness. Independence is a positive achievement.
I wish you independence no matter what phase of life you are in. Independence to:
· live successfully without asking others for money
· love whom you wish to love
· worship a higher power in the way you want, or to NOT worship any higher power
· reach the goals you have set for yourself
· feel your emotions and express your thoughts respectfully
· rest and relax when your body needs peace
· exercise or stretch your body in ways you find fun
And remember you don’t have to do any of these things alone – only if your independent mind wants that!
Faith is the founder of a dog walking and pet sitting business called, “Faith’s Fidos & Felines”. She has her Masters in Early Childhood Development and managed preschools in Chicago and Ypsilanti. For 6 years, she was the President of the Board at Unity of Farmington Hills.